Monday, July 04, 2005

Freshen Up the Mix



First, I would like to say Happy Birthday America!! Though my country may be going thru a bt of an odd spell, with Religious Conservatives controlling all branches of government, a political process growing overly stale from moneyed influence, and a foreign policy that makes us seem more like the high school bully than the benevolent quarterback; I still love my country very VERY much.

To all my foreign friends, and non-US readers, I apologize for the following, but it's got to be said. Had it not been for the bravery and forethought of a few refugees, intellectuals, and radicals; the shot heard 'round the world might have never been fired and the world would probably be a less free place.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the
world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead
Second, and the purpose of this post's title, I'd like to rearticulate my point about how government reform is needed to make any of this Live8 shit work. I'll address the problems of African governance later, but right now I'd like to take a wide angel approach and then hone in. Let's look at the dirtiest little aspect of this Live8 hullabullooh that nobody is daring to talk about -- it shouldn't have to exist!

No, I'm not talking about the fact we should all live by the golden rule and ensure that our fellow men & women are treated humanely. I mean the fact that the scrambled-egg sham of an international government that we have should have fixed this problem long ago. I mean for Christ's sake, the Secretary General of the UN [the big cheese of it all] had to join a Live8 concert to beg with the other millions of people that the Elite 8 decide to absolve existing debts and create a veritable Pan-African Marshall Plan to help hundreds of millions of people. THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

No, I'm not advocating that Kofi get empirial powers, nor am I advocating that the Group of 8 be tried for crimes against humanity. What I am advocating is a true restructuring of the UN in order to ensure that the international community is obliged to look out for the well being of one another, and that any laws passed in its hallways have merit.

Maybe it's naive, but I believe some good restructuring would do the trick.
I mean let's compare this to this.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment at the Genetics and Public Health Blog. Hope you're enjoying 4th of July weekend. I miss spending Independence Day in the DC area!